Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Creature of habitus: Latour on Bourdieu Pt. 1

Hi guys. Back from my road trip and returning to active duty. I definitely want to weigh in on the plasma/secularism question, but in the meantime here is the first of a few posts I started preparing before the holidays, on Latour and Pierre Bourdieu.

The subject of Latour's relation to Bourdieu is so complicated that I'm going to have to split it up over several posts. Before I get started, I'll quickly indicate what I think the complications are. There are basically four: (1) Bourdieu was arguably the central figure in French sociology from the early 1960s until his death in 2002 and Latour is, from what I understand, frequently seen to be his successor in this role; (2) Latour is heavily critical of Bourdieu in Reassembling the Social; (3) Bourdieu, for his part, attacked Latour and science studies in one of his last books, Science of Science and Reflexivity; and finally (4) Bourdieu has been a very strong influence on me personally, basically serving as my entry point into the world of sociology and social theory — so for me to accept Latour's pretty much wholesale dismissal of "critical sociology" requires a good deal of rethinking and unlearning on my part, a process which is still taking its way. (And this is interesting, actually, because one of the points of disagreement between Bourdieu and Latour is, essentially, about the way learning works, and how permanent and conscious it is — more about this in a moment.) So we have (1) what sociology thinks of Bourdieu and Latour, (2) what Latour thinks of Bourdieu, (3) what Bourdieu thinks of Latour, and (4) what I think of both of them, and whether they admit of being combined — that's a lot to cover. I'll do my best.

In this first post I'll have nothing to say about (3) — Bourdieu's Latour — and I'll focus on (2), with (1) and (4) perhaps bleeding in at the edges.

According to the index of Reassembling the Social, there are ten direct references to Bourdieu, though he's present by implication in many other passages — whenever Latour starts referring to "critical sociology" or "reflexivity," for example. In fact, despite the general spirit of opposition, a number of the citations of Bourdieu's work are rather admiring, though nearly all of these refer to Bourdieu's 1977 Outline of a Theory of Practice (cf. 101, 169, 175). Thus it seems fairly easy to see that the Bourdieu that Latour values is the close examiner of local interactions and the thinker of habitus, not the analyst of fields and capital that emerges in Bourdieu's work from Distinction on. This is a Bourdieu that Latour can plausibly associate with interactionism and ethnomethodology, a "micro" or "local" Bourdieu, as opposed to the "macro" or "global" Bourdieu we get with the subsequent development of field theory. This is consistent with Latour's general resistance, all throughout Reassembling the Social, to "contexts" or "frameworks" of any kind: it makes sense that he would like the "genetic" Bourdieu that is attentive to the tiniest behavioral tics and traces, but not the "structural" Bourdieu that uses all this data to build new versions of the class structure to correlate with this behavior. That is, Latour doesn't want to know, or claim to know, what the outside of the network consists of; he doesn't want to "fill in the blanks" as he puts it somewhere.

So one could imagine many of Bourdieu's analyses of social causation of seemingly natural human behavior adapted to actor-network theory — in a sense he's all about breaking up the nature-society divide, after all — but not the claim that such causation forms a rational structure or system. The point here is, Latour likes habitus, and he makes advances on the concept in the latter part of his chapter "Second Move: Redistributing the Local." For instance, here's Latour at his most Bourdieuvian (in thought, if not in style):

How many circulating clichés do we have to absorb before having the competence to utter an opinion about a film, a companion, a situation, a political stance? If you began to probe the origin of each of your idiosyncrasies, would you not be able to deploy, here again, the same star-like shape [i.e., a network] that would force you to visit many places, people, times, events that you had largely forgotten? That tone of voice, this unusual expression, this gesture of the hand, this gait, this posture, aren't these traceable as well? And then there is the question of your inner feelings. Have they not been given to you? Doesn't reading novels help you know how to love? How would you know which group you pertain to without ceaselessly downloading some of the cultural clichés that all the others are bombarding you with? (209)

Again, though it's a little more lyrical in tone, this could be taken from Distinction, Bourdieu's massive "social critique of the judgment of taste." So far it sounds as though Latour is merely recapitulating Bourdieu's own meditations on habitus: we incorporate into our bodies something from outside, which then gets reproduced as seemingly spontaneous and context-specific action (judging a film, taking a political stance, loving a person, et al.). But where Bourdieu always insists on the habitus as a "structuring structure" — that is, not so much habits or skills as a way of seeing the world ("principles of vision and division," is the way he frequently puts it) — Latour characteristically wants to keep each habit or competence discrete. That word "downloading" should tip us off that something different is going on here: and in fact Latour's (admittedly, somewhat sketchy) rethinking of habitus is built around the internet-era idea of "plug-ins," "borrowing this marvelous metaphor from our new life on the Web":

When you reach some site in cyberspace, it often happens that you see nothing on the screen. But then a friendly warning suggests that you "might not have the right plug-ins" and that you should "download" a bit of software which, once installed on your system, will allow you to activate what you were unable to see before. What is so telling about the metaphor of the plug-in is that competence doesn't come in bulk any longer but literally in bits and bytes … Being a fully competent actor now comes in discreet [sic] pellets or, to borrow from cyberspace, patches and applets, whose precise origin can be "Googled" before they are downloaded and saved one by one. (207)

Rather than just somehow absorbing a principle of vision and division and then unconsciously letting it dictate the way we respond to any given situation (the way Bourdieu argues that class habitus, preeminently, does), Latour proposes that we grab very specific competences that will only come in handy in a very few situations, and then either use them or not. Also, where Bourdieu would insist that a habitus, once acquired, can only be altered or replaced by stringent conditioning, Latour rather suggests a "use it or lose it" proposition: we have to "ceaselessly download" competences or we forget them. In sum, Latour has a more volitional and specific idea of how habitus works: it's not a mysterious creature that gets inside you and bursts out of you just when you think you're all alone (in An Invitation to Reflexive Sociology Bourdieu compares it to the creature in Alien), but a guest you willingly invite inside (more vampire than alien?), or, better, a party favor you take home, but are always at the risk of misplacing. The difference from Bourdieu gets underlined here: "If you take each of the rubrics as the mere 'expression' of some dark social force, then their efficacy disappears. But if you remember that there is nothing beyond and beneath, that there is no rear-world of the social, then is it not fair to say that they make up a part of your own cherished intimacy?" (209)

So, to finish this up in the spirit of Latour — and very much not in the spirit of Bourdieu — with a personal reminiscence. I spent basically a year reading through Bourdieu's work (and, as you've reported elsewhere, it really takes about a year of serious reading to get fully comfortable with a theorist). I gained a tremendous amount from it: it gave me an amazing sense of the field of theory, as well as providing numerous stylistic and conceptual tools I could put to work, and it even affected my political and moral opinions. In a real sense, then, it changed the way I think. On Bourdieu's view, I significantly altered my habitus by reading him: I made a series of epistemological breaks with my old, pre-Bourdieuvian self and ended up with new "principles of vision and division" that governed how I saw and thought about everything.

The trouble was, it also made me deeply unhappy in a lot of ways. (I can't lay all of this at Bourdieu's doorstep: last year was a tough one for a number of reasons, but certainly reading him was a major part of it, and the only one that's relevant here.) I felt, as I think many graduate students feel when immersing themselves in a single theorist's work, taken over or subjected t0 Bourdieu's thought more than I wanted to be. The influence was too powerful, too total. And beginning to read Latour seriously has been part of a larger project of attempting to extricate myself from Bourdieu a little, or eliminate some of what Bourdieu had managed to incorporate into me (along the lines of the logic of the pharmakon: the cure for too much social theory is… more social theory!). But I also haven't wanted to lose what I gained from reading Bourdieu and being, in some sense, "taken over" by him. On Latour's view — and this is the great thing about it, I think — I don't have to make yet another epistemological break and throw over Bourdieu for Latour, reflexive critical sociology for ANT (however much the rhetorical antagonism toward "the sociology of the social" throughout RTS might make that seem to be the case). In fact, on his view, I never acquired a Bourdieuvian habitus in the first place: I just subscribed to so many Bourdieuvian "plug-ins" that I was tricked into thinking that he really had taken me over and changed the whole way I see the world. So what I can do now, if I want, is download some new plug-ins from Latour, which may or may not be compatible with those previously acquired from Bourdieu — and if they're not and I find Latour's more useful, I can delete the old plug-ins. Not only this, but if I don't keep "ceaselessly downloading" Bourdieu's plug-ins — by rereading him, and talking about him, and putting his ideas to work — then they will stop acting on and in me whether I voluntarily delete them or not. And this seems true: what's surprising to me now is how much cognitive work I have to do to access Bourdieuvian concepts that at one time I could barely manage to think outside of. Depending on how you look at it, then, this whole question of "theoretical influence" has become either much less terrifying or much more daunting: because you don't have to worry so much about being "taken over," but you do need to do a lot more maintenance work.

OK, so that's habitus. I'll move from here into a post on structure and agency, and then finish by considering Bourdieu's critique of Latour.

8 comments:

Rosten said...

Hey Evan, really enjoyed reading this! I think you linked to it from Facebook? Anyways, as a pretty casual theory reader, I found your descriptions of the B vs. L unusually lucid and easy to "get", thanks!

It was funny to read your description of Bourdieu "taking over." I had a similar sensation when reading Latour. I got into Latour through Urban Planning stuff. He has a really fun crime-novel/tech analysis of a failed Parisian transit project called Aramis. After I finished that, I picked up Pandora's Box and around midway through I felt that I had to literally stop reading it because it was making too much sense and that I was being brainwashed. Not really sure what to make of it. Never finished the book.
-Rosten

Evan said...

Thanks Rosten! I'm glad you liked it.

I think the experience of being taken over by a theorist (or philosopher) is pretty commonplace, and obviously sometimes more desirable or pleasurable than at other times. Depends what you're reading the theory for, I suppose. In this particular case I do feel like I'm chasing Bourdieu out, or counteracting some of his influence anyway, by reading Latour, so I don't worry about drinking the kool-aid too much, as it were. But you never know...

Patrick Chanezon said...

I love your recount of the experience of being engulfed in Bourdieu's theory: happened to me 20 years ago and I nearly dropped out of Eng school to go work with him.
He smartly advised me to get my Eng diploma first and I feel lucky I did.
About Latour's web plugins metaphor it sounds seductive but has some flaws: plugins work in the context of a browser, which provide structure (your choice of browser would be your habitus), and in more complex plugin architectures (like eclipse/osgi) plugins can interact with each other, and a set of collaborating plugins provide a self reinforcing structure (habitus + field theory).
About Latour vs Bourdieu (I would add Crozier to the mix), I think an interesting approach to understand their differences would be to perform a Bourdieusian analysis of the field of French sociology 1960-2000 like the XIX century literary field analysis in "les regles de l'art".
Thanks for the post, makes me want to dig into Latour.
Thanks for the post, makes

jamie said...

Hi Evan, thanks for this informative post about Latour's reading of Bourdieu. Assuming what you say is accurate, however, I have to conclude that Latour doesn't understand much about Bourdieu's concepts. He can't "like" habitus and not like field--Bourdieu's point from fairly early on was that the two concepts were paired. The "objectivity of the subjective" is a result of the fact that habitus is formed in determinative, though dynamic, spaces. Bourdieu's work in the 1980s does emphasize the objective structures, but not at the expense of attention to dispositions; for instance, one can point to the discussions of professorial comments on exams in Homo Academicus and State Nobility. Anyway, I'm surprised you praise Distinction, since that's really the first of his major works to take such a tack.

The entire point of habitus as a conception of the dispositionally-laden social body is to refute exactly the kinds of "volitional" or intellectualist portrayals of practice that Latour seems to advocate with his concept of "downloading." But you seem to be dissatisfied with Bourdieu for other reasons. The extent to which Bourdieu talked about the dynamism of habitus is far too often overlooked. The dynamic changes of the Algerian peasantry faced with encroaching European social norms is the whole point of his anthropological works. In Sketch for a Self-Analysis he describes his own "habitus clivé." In fact, in Pascalian Meditations he also talks about how elements from the habitus can be lost or forgotten more or less permanently from disuse.

Without meaning to invalidate your experience of reading and forgetting Bourdieu, what you say is indicative of your misunderstanding. From a Bourdieusian perspective, it would would probably have been impossible for you to gain a "Bourdieusian habitus" after merely a year of reading him. Maybe if you experienced some sort of massive, habitus-transforming crisis during that year (see the conclusions of Homo Academicus and State Nobility), but even so, you likely would need much longer and more thorough inculcation into his world to truly be taken over by it (at least according to the theory of habitus).

Rather, you approached Bourdieu out of a far more deeply ingrained habitus of which you probably--if you are like the rest of us--have little awareness. Your acceptance and rejection of him of is irreducibly related to your positions in various micro- and macro-social fields. You may indeed have picked him up like a plug-in, but only because your habits as a reader, like your habits as a computer user, are indebted to embodied schemes of perception of which you know little.

Evan said...

First off, thanks to both of you for your thoughtful responses.

Patrick, you're surely right that there are problems with Latour's adoption of "plug-ins" for a theory of subjectivity -- and it should be emphasized that it's really just a sketch, not a fully developed theory, and it's therefore somewhat unfair to compare it to Bourdieu's much more sophisticated habitus theory. (Incidentally, I'd love to hear more about your personal experience working with Bourdieu!)

And Jamie, I also agree that my year engaging with Bourdieu was not enough to truly reshape my habitus, and that my attraction to him (as well as my current repulsion) was determined by many macro- and micro-level social factors over and above those directly present in my reading experience (i.e. my upbringing, my educational position, etc.). But it seems indisputable to me that Bourdieu's theory of habitus does entail the notion of the "epistemological break" -
and in this he follows Bachelard, Canguilhem, Althusser, Foucault and the whole tradition of French epistemology - that is, learning as a kind of cognitive conversion experience. It may fall into disuse, but we are still essentially talking about all-or-nothing conversions and conditionings and thinking getting "on the sure path of a science" or not -- a Kantian view of knowledge that I believe Bourdieu would have admitted to, and of which Latour is genuinely skeptical. And Latour, as I read him, is not so much more "volitional or intellectualist" than Bourdieu as he is less convinced of the systematicity of habitus: of the overall coherence of our mental structures, wherever they come from.

Anyway, thanks once again for the excellent comments. Please feel free to weigh in on future posts as well!

MUJUN said...

Hey, I have been reading Latour for this whole semester and just want to say that your blog is really wonderful. I am kind of "taken" by Latour this semester and feel quite depressed with him. I am an ethnographer studying urban politics, and focus more on "genetic" questions rather than "generic" questions which assume some fundamental structures like class and civil society. Sometimes I even think my approach was quite Latourian even before I read Latour. But in the second year of my graduate study, I read a lot of stuff in political economy and comparative historical analysis, which are mostly using very limited variables to explain those grand themes like democratization. I struggled with those for some time, and later was "domesticated". I already began to think this structuralist approach makes sense to me when this semester started. Then Latour has come to me, and I felt that I had made too many U turns within such a short period of time, and I didn't like the paper I wrote before summer, which was supposed to be revised now for publication. Then I don't know what to do. But maybe you are right (and Latour is also right), we have never ever been actually "taken" by any theorist, and what we can do is just to read and re-read them to download new plug-ins. As long as we stop, the network is broken. Really interesting thoughts.

By the way, I am a doctoral student in sociology at Brown University. I also have a blog and update a lot. The address is http://blog.future4ever.com/mujun
You may not be able to read it because it is in Chinese. Haha~ Again, really nice blog, and thank you so much!

Purslane said...

Terrific essay. I wonder whether you've written more on the subject, since it seems like there's so much more to be said about the relationship between Bourdieu and Latour. And I wonder whether Bourdieu, had he lived to see a tenth anniversary edition of his final book, might have added some digressive, forgiving comments to chapter 4 of "Science of science and reflexivity" as he did about Merton in chapter 1.

Unknown said...

Great writing, and relevant to my current studies. Will follow with interest.
Ibrar